Thursday, January 8, 2009

The New Year

2008 is a year I am happy to leave behind me. There were surely good moments, but the overall feeling of it was struggle, stagnation, hard lessons and impatience to get to a better place. I am hopeful that 2009 will be a period of significant progress toward that better place.

Before moving full steam ahead, let me take a look back and honor the good:

2008 marked my first Polar Bear Plunge, which Amanda goaded me to, and I believe it is an excellent way to start the year. Amanda had a great year; turning 20, buying a house and falling in love with Hanz. Lucy and I got a wonderful housemate in Leslie, who was here from January through October. I built up my contractor business, working steadily and making decent money for a good portion of the year. I sang in the Whatcom Chorale, finished a couple of portrait commissions, even did some mentoring. There were good times with family and friends. I made progress on home renovations; finally pulling out the gross carpet and tile and refinishing the original 114 yr old fir floors, retrimming doorways and floorboard in the original style, paving a sideyard patio and walkway. Significant progress!

And a hard look at the not-so-good:

Business was not what it should be. An invasive and expensive attempt to produce one more litter of pups with Phoebe failed. Relationship-wise, I continued my in and out pattern, investing with hope in what seemed at first wonderful but turned out to be fatally flawed. Lucy got through a rather rocky 7th grade and began school bravely again in the fall, but soon decided she wanted to be homeschooled, which has been a challenge for me to pull together. The quarter I took off from Chorale wasn't such a good idea, as I missed the singing and socializing.

But now it is 2009. The economic situation is challenging, but there is renewed determination to work together to set things right. Slowing down, remembering what really matters, supporting local community, increasing awareness, sowing good will, being content with the simple things: family, friends, nature, a lovingly tended life. My optimism is flourishing~

No comments: