Thursday, April 22, 2010

baby squirrel


I was working on Sunday because that's when the sun chose to shine. I was there to mow down the exuberant dandilions (no chemicals allowed here). I also continued my task of weeding and planting. I came around the corner to the east lawn where I spied a grey creature on the lawn. As I walked up it twitched- a little grey squirrel. My amazement grew as I got closer and closer. It made a quiet throaty sound (fear? warning? talk?), but didn't move. I got down to eye level with it, talking back. It began to lose interest and totter off. Yes, totter! The little thing was barely walking, its hind feet seeming way too big and awkward.

I stood and stepped closer, apparently becoming a tree in baby squirrel eyes. It darted onto my shoe, then became engrossed in exploring the leather and lace. Baby squirrel on my foot. I got it to make its was over to the trees, but not before it again darted to instead of away from me, crawling partway up my leg. Oh for a pocket camera for just such moments as those.

No comments: